Physical Education and Outdoor Learning at Morpeth Road Primary Academy
Through our Physical Education and Outdoor Learning programme we aim to:
Offer a high quality, broad and engaging PE and outdoor learning curriculum that:
- Develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in a wide variety of contexts.
- Develops the individual as a whole: physical, socially, emotionally and creatively.
- Promotes a love of learning.
- Encourages children and families to lead an active healthy lifestyle.
Why is Physical Education and Outdoor Learning important?
All individuals enjoy and excel in different areas. It is important that we strive to meet the needs of all children and give opportunities for all children to progress and experience different contexts and learn new skills.
Personal qualities such as confidence, social and emotional awareness, motivation and an appetite for learning will broaden the horizons of all individuals and lay the foundation for long term well-being contributing to individuals living healthy, active and fulfilling lives.
In PE and outdoor learning children spend a lot of time working in small groups and teams. It is important that children learn to work together, tolerate others, compete fairly and demonstrate good sportsmanship.
Effective use of Primary School PE and school sport funding
At Morpeth Road Primary we are committed to improving the provision of school sport and outdoor learning by:
- Employing a team of PE and outdoor specialist staff – raise the quality and profile of PE and outdoor learning within the school and local community.
- Providing professional development – specialist training opportunities has been provided to numerous staff across the school to raise standards in PE and outdoor learning.
- Developing the school grounds – Specialist equipment has been installed in school to provide a broad and balanced PE and outdoor curriculum.
PE and school sports funding
From September 2013, the government began providing additional funding of £150 million per year to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision in primary schools. This funding is ring-fenced to be spent on provisions of PE and sports in schools.
Please click on the links below for more information.